Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Slow-cooker recipes - what a find!



This week's Works for Me Wednesday theme is food that can be whipped up fast. My post does require planning ahead, but when you come home and want food NOW, this is perfect.

I struggle to find good slow-cooker recipes. On more than one occasion, I have spent a great deal of time looking through all of the slow-cooker cookbooks at Barnes & Noble, trying to pick out one that looks inspiring. Although many look impressive, the recipes are not dishes that I would ever actually want to make. I did get one, eventually, that I sort of liked; but still, it's not the panacea that I was looking for to solve all of my cooking dilemmas.

Of course, the crock pot would be ideal for someone in my situation: be at work all day, and then come home to a delicious feast! We usually do not cook too many elaborate meals because we get off work around dinner time and are hungry NOW. We do eat good, healthy food, but nothing that takes longer than 30-40 minutes to make, usually. But I LOVE to cook delicious food.

There was a commercial for crock pots on during Iron Chef America, and it mentioned that there are recipes on the Crock-Pot web site. Wow, why didn't I think of that? There are a TON of great-looking recipes on that site! I can't wait to try some!

For more Works for Me Wednesday, click here.

10 comments:

Infinity Goods said...

Love my crockpot. Chili tastes really good slow cooked to perfection in one.

Pam--in America said...

Sounds great....I'm going to go check out the website. I love using my crockpot too!

Susan said...

I don't know anyone with a crockpot here. When I am back in the US, I will invest in one. Thanks for visiting my website. Have a fabulous day!

jennwa said...

Thanks for the tip. I love my crockpot too.

Cyndy said...

I will be checking out this site. It is hard to find good slow cooker recipes and I've done similar things like spending hours in B & N looking at recipes. Thanks for the tip!

Amy said...

I luuuuuv my crockpot! The best method I have found for recipes is trial and error. I have found some real gems, along with some we will never have again. :) At least we have crock-pot variety! :)
One of my favorites? Pork roast with sweet potatoes & bell peppers, made with apple juice. Yum!

Miss Julianne said...

That sounds, really good, Amy D! Feel free to share that recipe. :)

Ahuva said...

I don't know if you read comments on old posts or not but if you do... I love my crock pots and have probably a dozen crock pot cook books and even more recipes that I've adapted for the crock pot. Is there anything in particular that you're interested in? My current favorite is an apricot roast recipe I adapted from a kosher cook book called Spice And Spirit. I don't know if you cook with alcohol or not, but if you do, tequila lime chicken (chicken with orange juice, lime juice and tequila-- also works without the alcohol) is another good one.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Miss Julianne said...

Why, thank you, Biana! What a nice thing to say!